As part of a cabinet rejig, Mr Suresh Prabhu joined the Central Government yesterday and was allotted the role of leading the Railways Ministry. Recently, Mr Prabhu had been appointed as Prime Minister Narendra Modi's sherpa for the G20 Leaders' Summit in Brisbane and also the head of an advisory group for integrated development of power, coal and renewable energy.
During his earlier stint as a Minister at the Centre, Mr Prabhu was the Union Cabinet Minister of Power, Environment and Forests, Industry, Chemicals & Fertilisers, Heavy Industry & Public Enterprises, and the Chairman of the Task Force on Interlinking of Rivers with the rank and status of Union Cabinet Minister.
Mr Prabhu's major initiatives as a minister during this earlier stint included:
- Initiating the Biodiversity Bill in the Ministry of Environment & Forests through public participation
- Initiating and piloting Electricity Regulatory (Amendment) Bill 2001 in Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha (7.8.2001)
- Initiating and piloting the Energy Conservation Bill, 2001 as Minister of Power in Lok Sabha (17.8.2001) and the Rajya Sabha (28.8.2001)
- Initiating and introducing the Electricity Bill 2001 in the Lok Sabha (30.8.2001) as Minister of Power
- Bill on Bio-Medical Waste
- Bill on Municipal Solid Waste